TITLETOWN WINTER GAMES SET FOR FEB. 15-16
Presented by U.S. Venture, event will offer luge, curling, biathlon & cross country skiing, ski jumping, figure skating; debut of ‘Arctic Blast’ festival will kick off weekend Feb. 14
Titletown will transform into a winter sports wonderland on Feb. 15 and 16 when it hosts the second annual Titletown Winter Games presented by U.S. Venture.
The free event will offer community members the chance to experience the thrill of luge, curling, biathlon and cross-country skiing, figure skating and ski jumping, thanks to guidance from Olympic governing bodies USA Luge, USA Curling, US Biathlon, US Ski & Snowboard – Central Cross Country Skiing, USA Figure Skating and USA Nordic Sports. The Winter Games event is a collaboration between Titletown and U.S. Venture, Inc., headquartered in Appleton, Wis.
Activities begin at noon on Saturday, Feb. 15, with an opening ceremony, and the event will continue throughout the day until 7 p.m. Winter Games events will resume Sunday, Feb. 16, from noon until 5 p.m.
The debut of Arctic Blast: An Ice + Music Festival will kick off the festivities on Friday, Feb. 14, from 6-9 p.m. and keep the fun going after dark on Saturday, Feb. 15, from 6 to 9 p.m. This festival, aimed at complementing the winter sports atmosphere with an après-ski theme, will include ice bars, ice sculptures, live music and entertainment.
The public is encouraged to bring bike or ski helmets to wear while participating in the sporting activities; additional necessary equipment will be provided. All participants must complete a waiver onsite before beginning activities. More information about the sports featured at the Winter Games is below:
- USA Luge will create a special course on Ariens Hill for the Luge Challenge. Participants will compete in categories (boys, girls, men and women) with a prize awarded to the fastest top three runs in each group on both Saturday and Sunday. Participants must be at least 9 years old. To accommodate the course, Ariens Hill will be closed for tubing Feb. 15-16.
- USA Curling will utilize a portion of the Titletown Ice Rink to create an instructional course for participants to learn how to curl. Participants must wear rubber-soled shoes or snow boots to access the ice for curling. This event will also be open to participants using wheelchairs. Skating will remain open to the public at the normal hours of operation and admission rate throughout the weekend.
- US Biathlon and US Ski & Snowboard will host an interactive biathlon and cross-country skiing experience for the public to try the winter sport that combines cross country skiing and marksmanship. The event will use eye-safe “infrared rifles” to accurately simulate marksmanship and cross-country ski equipment will be available. This event will also be open to participants using wheelchairs.
- USA Nordic Sports will create a mini ski jump out of snow or utilize a ski jump simulator. Participants will learn the fundamentals of the four parts of a ski jump under the guidance of elite coaches, former Olympians and local club leaders. All ages are welcome, and skis and helmets will be provided.
- US Figure Skating will offer free ice skating lessons to skaters of all ages and skill levels through Learn to Skate USA. Each session includes a 30-minute group lesson followed by practice time and a group photo. Ice skating admission fees are required for all participants, and skates are available to rent if needed. Lessons will be offered Feb. 15 at 1, 3 and 5 p.m., and Feb. 16 at 1 and 3 p.m. Skaters can pre-register at titletown.com/events/calendar/titletownwintergames or skaters can sign up at the event on a first-come, first-served basis. Space is limited.
Titletown and U.S. Venture will also welcome special guests for the event, three-time Olympian and 1998 Olympic silver medalist Gordy Sheer and Sochi Olympian Aidan Kelly, along with staff and Wisconsin-based Junior National Team athletes from USA Luge. Additionally, youth and families from various community organizations will attend the Titletown Winter Games as guests of U.S. Venture. Wello and Weight of the Fox Valley, two organizations that share a vision of enhancing a culture of health and wellness in Northeast Wisconsin. Together, have extended a special invitation to youth and families from community partners (including the Boys & Girls Clubs, Big Brothers Big Sisters, school districts, and others) to participate in the Winter Games. The sporting activities are free for all to experience and made possible by the Basic Needs Giving Partnership, established from money raised at the U.S. Venture Open, the nation’s single largest one-day charitable event dedicated to ending poverty.
More information about the two-day event is available at titletown.com/events/calendar/titletownwintergames. Titletown also includes TitletownTech, The Turn, Bellin Health Titletown Sports Medicine & Orthopedics, Lodge Kohler, Hinterland Restaurant and Brewery and Associated Bank. For more information, visit titletown.com.
About U.S. Venture:
U.S. Venture is committed to giving back in the communities in which we live, work and play. For more than 65 years, U.S. Venture, Inc. has been recognized as an innovative leader in the distribution of petroleum and renewable energy products, lubricants, and tires and parts for the automotive aftermarket. Guided by its company vision, “Will be the very best provider of transportation products and insight driving the world forward.,” they deliver unconventional, creative solutions that give their customers a competitive edge. Headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, the company’s business divisions are U.S. Oil, U.S. AutoForce®, U.S. Lubricants, U.S. Gain, Breakthrough, and IGEN. The company is a major sponsor of the USA Luge team and draws inspiration from the athletes’ high performance – one of the company’s differentiating values.
# # #
Green Bay Packers